Tuesday, March 15, 2011

002. Of granny squares and socks

So yesterday I finished out the two skeins of Lily's Sugar'n Cream (1 varigated called Buttercream and 1 solid, Softly Taupe) I'd purchased specifically to make potholders. Got four double layer squares out of them, so not bad. I make all my pot holders out of two squares stitched together, because I prefer to have something more substantial between me and oven-hot cookware. Two of them combined single crochet rows with rows of trinity stitch, while the other two were ... sort of basketweave? ;) More like ridges, since the front- and back-post double crochets stacked instead of weaving.

I really like Sugar'n Cream cotton, but it's definitely not a forgiving yarn. Works up well the first time, but if you have to frog and redo? Oh the strand splitting. But it comes in such a lovely array of colors, how can I resist?

I also managed a couple more Copenhagen granny squares for the baby blanket I've been nibbling at while watching TV the last couple of weeks. I have a definite love-hate relationship with granny squares. They're easy, which makes them perfect for doing while watching TV. But they can also get really boring. Which is why I have a whole book full of granny square variants.

Today was an errands day, so not much time for crochet. I did get the top cuff finished for the second sock. Tomorrow is a Seattle trip day, so I'll try to get some pics snapped for tomorrow's entry, get some color and visual appeal going on here. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment